Follow Us

Work Permit


  • Students 16 and older do not require and school documentation to work in Alabama.
  • Students 14 or 15 will require an Eligibility to Work form provided by their school.

Alabama Law as related to employment of minors

On May 19, 2009, Governor Bob Riley signed into law House Bill 144. The new act reforms Alabama child labor enforcement standards, transferring the permitting process from the public school system to the Department of Labor. In addition, new record keeping requirements and administrative penalties have been added.

Under the new system, work permits are no longer required for each minor employed. In its place, employers are required to obtain a Child Labor Certificate in order to employ minors. A Class I Certificate is required if employing 14 or 15 year olds and a Class II Certificate is required if employing 16 or 17 year olds. Each location of a business employing minors must obtain the proper certificate(s) in order to employ minors. The cost of the Child Labor Certificates are $15 each and shall be renewed annually.

Additionally, an Eligibility to Work form is required for each 14 or 15 year old minor employed. These forms can be obtained by the minor from their school. The Eligibility to Work form must be kept in the employee’s file.

Excalibur's Responsibility

At the parent's request and provided the student is making satisfactory academic progress, Excalibur will provide an Eligibility to Work form for a student aged 14 or 15.  The parent must supply to Excalibur the name and address of the prospective employer with name of the student.

There are no articles in this category. If subcategories display on this page, they may contain articles.